Thursday, April 06, 2006

I am so tired right now. I really want to get some rest. I am starting to think about something that I didn't expect I'd think about this early in my new career...

I know someone who works for a company that is more or less the same "size" as my current company. Do you know how many sysads they have? Three. Do you know how many sysads we have? One. Just one... and that's me.

I'm involved in everything that is even just remotely related to a computer or phone. I'm the all-around IT and telephony guy. I'm like a sysad/tech support rep/IT consultant/dev. Can you imagine how much work that translates to? I suggest that you don't even try to guess.

During the busiest days at work, there's a need for me to be in three places at the same time. Sometimes a local client has problems where I need to visit them and fix the problem (even when I'm not really their admin). Let's just say that this is my IT consultant function.

Then I also have to be always present at the office since a problem may arise any moment. Of course this is the most important/required part of my job. This is my tech support rep/dev function. There's not really much to administer in the office so I consider this to be a tech support rep function. The only thing that I need to worry about is the connection and connection security in general (a relatively minor admin thing). This includes administering the firewall, router, proxy and other servers. Most of the time I just do tech support and "technician" stuff. :(

I also have to be present online to manage a server in the US and several other stuff like email inquiries, etc. I need to be updated with regards to security things and new technologies. I manage a lot of (virtual) domains which includes web hosting and email.

I didn't really think this was what I signed up for. My work is slowly starting to kill me... (if I don't die, maybe I'll go crazy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home